Veitch House is a two-storey, detached, wooden home with a mansard roof and dormer windows overlooking the bay at Holyrood. The Veitch property is located at 5-7 Station Road, on the north side of teh road. The municipal heritage designation includes the house, outbuilding remnants, retaining wall remnants, old cart road remnants and mature trees on the lot.
Veitch House has historic value as one of the oldest buildings in Holyrood and because of its association with the Veitch family and local business. The Veitch (also historically known as Wetch or Witch) surname was reportedly established in Holyrood with George Veitch in the 1700's, who settled under the prominent landmark since known as George's Cove Mountain. Veitch House may have been built by either George's son John (1801 - 1866) or by his grandson, Philip Veitch. It was built by the late 1800's, and once had a nearby sister house owned by another Veitch relative.
Philip's son John (Jack) Veitch and wife Annie (O'Neil) Veitch lived in teh house for many years. Annie was also from one of Holyrood's oldest families, and became proprietor of the business known as Veitch's Hostelry or the Seaview Hotel, which operated from the house during the 1920's - 40's. The property's proximity to the former Holryood Railway Station was no doubt an advantage in that regard. Annie was know locally for her community work and business sense, and the building hosted special events like wedding receptions.
Veitch House also has architectural value as an example of Second Empire style wooden housing in Newfoundland. It features the characteristic mansard roof pierced with dormer windows. Other structural and aesthetic elements of the building include ornamental eaves brackets, returns and trims, ornamental front door surroound, and a symmetrical front facade wth large windows. It is one of the most intact examples of heritage architecture in Holyrood.
The property features the distinct remnants of two outbuildings (likely dug cellars), as well as a field stone retaining wall and a former cart road behind the house. This road connected the north side of Holyrood with the main harbour. The large, mature Scots pines, maple trees, linden trees, plum trees, apple trees, and other cultivated deciduous trees underline the age of the property and add to its aesthetic appeal.
All of these features combine to make the Veitch property a distinctive site in Holyrood's cultural landscape, and it is visible from numerous locations throughout the community.
Copyright @ 2010 Town of Holyrood. All rights reserved. Site Designed by Zircon Web Design